Collections Storage ​The MAC Lab’s Curation program is responsible for the long-term preservation of the estimated eight to ten million artifacts either owned by or in the custody of the State of Maryland.  This includes ensuring collections are properly packaged in acid-free, archival materials and stored in a climate-controlled environment.  It is also committed to making those collections accessible for research, education and public exhibit.  The collections have been excavated by both amateur and professional archaeologists, from state, private and federally-owned land, and represent 12,000 years of human history in Maryland.   Approximately 90% of the collections curated at the MAC Lab are owned by the State and are managed by the Lab’s State Curation program. The remaining 10% is owned by the Federal government and managed by the Federal Curation program. 

Importance of Curation

The State of Maryland’s archaeological collections are non-renewable cultural resources, which are a significant part of the State’s history and prehistory.  Archaeological collections can provide a unique perspective on past peoples and give voice to groups that may not be represented in historical documents.

Without proper curation care, these important pieces of the State’s heritage would be in danger of loss or damage.  Therefore, acid-free archival packaging materials, appropriate artifact handling, and climate-controlled storage environments are imperative for the long term preservation of the State’s archaeological collections.  Proper curation also ensures easy access to collections for research purposes.

Visit our curation pages or online research tools by clicking the images below


Human Trafficking GET HELP

National Human Trafficking Hotline - 24/7 Confidential

1-888-373-7888 233733 More Information on human trafficking in Maryland

Customer Service Promise

The State of Maryland pledges to provide constituents, businesses, customers, and stakeholders with friendly and courteous, timely and responsive, accurate and consistent, accessible and convenient, and truthful and transparent services.

Take Our Survey

Help Stop Fraud in State Government

The Maryland General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Audits operates a toll-free fraud hotline to receive allegations of fraud and/or abuse of State government resources. Information reported to the hotline in the past has helped to eliminate certain fraudulent activities and protect State resources.

More Information