For a description of the Fellowship, visit the Gloria S. King Fellowship page.
Alexandria Glass, Applied Archaeology & History Associates
During her three week fellowship, Ms. Glass analyzed flotation samples from the Rosenstock Village Site (18FR18), a late Woodland Period Village in Frederick County.
Valerie M. J. Hall, Department of Anthropology, University of Maryland
Ms. Hall spent two weeks examining various Southern Maryland collections in order to address indigenous exploitation of faunal resources and tools associated with the fur trade in the Maryland Colony.
Katelyn Kean, St. Mary's College of Maryland
During her fellowship, Ms. Kean used artifact distribution data from slave quarters at two Calvert County Maryland sites in order to understand how the enslaved were using the landscape. The sites analyzed were 18CV91 Smith’s St. Leonard (1711-1754) and 18CV151 Bowen Road, dating from the late 18th to early 19th centuries.
Zachary Singer, Department of Anthropology, University of Connecticut
Mr. Singer, spent three weeks at the lab studying lithic tools from two sites with Paleoindian components: Noland’s Ferry (18FR17) and Higgins (18AN489).
Mia Carey, Department of Anthropology, University of Florida
During her fellowship, Ms. Carey used the lab's type collections to assist in identifying and cataloging ceramics from the Yarrow Mamout Site, the early 19th-century home in Georgetown of an African Muslim. She also compared the ceramics from the Yarrow Mamout Site with assemblages from the Benjamin Banneker Site and is looking at questions of consumer choice and patterns of use and re-use.
Zachary Singer, Ph.D. candidate, Department of Anthropology at the University of Connecticut
Mr. Singer analyzed lithic materials of "weathering amber chalcedony" from 18BA483, a quarry related lithic reduction site in Baltimore County.
Esther Rimer, Museum Technician, Anthropology Department Collections, Smithsonian Institution, Museum Support Center
Ms. Rimer is looking at collections from several late seventeenth-century earth fast buildings at the Oxon Hill Plantation (18PR175) in Prince Georges County. These structures, one of which may have been an armory, will help shed light on life along the Maryland frontier.
Laura Masur, Department of Anthropology, Boston University
Ms. Masur’s project focused on Jesuit sites in Southern Maryland, in her study of the relationship between landscape, economic production and Jesuit foodways on Jesuit farms and plantations in Maryland and southeastern Pennsylvania. Ms. Masur examined collections from 18ST87, 18ST233, 18ST329 and 18ST330.
Lindsay Bloch, Department of Anthropology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Ms. Bloch uses elemental analysis as a quantitative way to distinguish the origins of utilitarian earthenware on sites from the Colonial and Early Federal period Chesapeake. During her fellowship, Ms. Bloch examined earthenware from 18CV83 (King’s Reach), 18CV84 (King’s Reach Quarter), NAVAIR (18ST642), Ashcomb’s Quarter (18CV362), Mattapany (18ST738) and 18CV344 (Chapline Place) for analysis. Ms. Bloch's completed dissertation entitled Made in America? Ceramics, Credit, and Exchange on Chesapeake Plantations came out this year and should be available online by August 2015.
Jenna Carlson, Department of Anthropology, College of William and Mary
Ms. Carlson's project involved analyzing the lower limb bones of cattle from 18PR175 (Oxon Hill) and 18AP52 (Gott’s Court) for osteometric and pathological indicators of the animals’ use as draught cattle. By identifying draught cattle from the archaeological record, Ms. Carlson hopes to see the transition from tobacco production to mixed grain agriculture in the eighteenth-century Chesapeake and its effects on cattle husbandry. "Oxen at Oxon Hill Manor" (Poster session at the 2015 Society for American Archaeology Meetings, San Francisco, April 2015).
Valerie M. J. Hall, Curator at the Museum of the Grand Prairie
Ms. Hall is looking at Native American pottery on seventeenth-century sites as a way to examine Maryland Indian women's influence on the transformation of English immigrant culture in Early British America. During her week-long fellowship, Ms. Hall looked at Indian pottery from 18CV83 (King’s Reach), Heater’s Island (18FR72), Horne Point (18DO 58), Charles Gift (18ST704), Fly (18ST329), Old Chapel Field (18ST330), and Tudor Hall (18ST677). Academia.edu webpage https://independent.academia. edu/ValerieHall1.
Christopher Shephard, Department of Anthropology, College of William & Mary
Mr. Shephard researched the exchange of copper and shell objects among Algonquian societies of the Late Woodland through Early Colonial periods, and the rise and transformation of chiefly authority across the southern Middle Atlantic. During his fellowship, Mr. Shephard looked at collections from the Posey Site (18CH281), the Cumberland Site (18CV171) and the Hughes Site (18MO1) to answer questions related to the nature of competitive gift-giving and feasting in the negotiation of power and authority among the indigenous societies of the Tidewater. The Materiality of Politics: Tracking the Production and Circulation of Shell Artifacts in the Algonquian Chesapeake (A.D. 900-1680).
Dr. Alasdair Brooks, Independent Researcher
Dr. Brooks' proposal was entitled “British Ceramics in North America, 1750 to 1900: A Maryland Case Study”. Dr. Brooks requested funding to research the nature of post-1750 ceramics assemblages recovered from Maryland in support of his broader research on international trade and consumption of post-1750 British ceramics. This research will subsequently form a core part of his forthcoming book British Ceramics 1750-1900: a Global Perspective, contracted to the Society for Historical Archaeology's co-publication series with the University of Nebraska Press (for publication in 2016). The research has most recently proved useful in providing comparative data for the analysis of assemblages in Abu Dhabi and Oman. Dr. Brooks remained at the lab for two weeks, during which time he analyzed ceramics from two privy features from the Federal Reserve Site (18BC27), the Magruder House (18MO325), Schifferstadt (18FR134), and the Elizabeth Lowery House (18CR226).
10515 Mackall Road, St. Leonard, MD 20685